Chapter Three

Virtual Assistant Business Legalities

Before you actually open your virtual business doors, you must ensure that you are operating your business legally. You must take the following steps:

1. Find out what business licenses are required for your town or city and apply for them.

2. Determine whether you need a zoning permit to legally work from your home. If you do need a zoning permit, apply for one.

3. Choose your business name, ensuring that it is not already being used by another person or company, and register it with your town or state, as required.

4. Choose your business entity sole proprietorship, partnership, Limited Liability Company (LLC) or corporation and register with your state.

If you are not sure what business entity best suits your needs, consult an attorney or your local Small Business Administration. The business entity you choose will, in large part, determine how you are taxed, so take time to make the decision that is best for you and your business.

While the legalities of starting a business may be somewhat tedious, it is extremely important that you tend to them before you open your virtual business doors. Once you have the legalities out of the way, you will be ready to prepare for opening your business.

Next: Chapter Four: Marketing Your Virtual Assistant Business

Previous: Chapter Three: Starting Your Own Virtual Assistant Business

Table of Contents for the Virtual Assistant Career Guide:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape. Do not copy content from the page. Plagiarism will be detected by Copyscape.

Virtual Assistant Career Guide - Details on having a career in Virtual Assisting
Email | Privacy Policy | Related Resources

Read some of our other guides:
Paralegal Career Guide - Details on becoming a Paralegal

© 2017 - All rights reserved.

Please note: Anyone caught selling illegal copies of the Virtual Assistant Career Guide or using our copyrighted text or images will be dealt with to the full extent of the law. In addition to legal action, we will report copyright infringers to their billing company, hosting company, domain registrar, any companies they are advertising for or affiliating for and to the search engines citing the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).